Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Module 5 - Keller's ARCS Model

Two years ago, our district implemented a new website that, among other things, provided each teachers with space to create a classroom webpage. These classroom pages were created to be edited in-browser in an effort to make it easy to use. The district administration, to provide a consistent appearance, required all teachers to have a minimum amount of information on their pages. In other words, using the new technology was mandatory.

I was put in charge of training the staff to add content to the classroom pages. While all teachers were able to create a page and add the minimum content, very few teachers continue to use or update their classroom pages at this point in time. Using Keller’s ARCS Model for audience analysis as presented by Driscoll (2005) would have made it possible for me to more effectively motivate and inspire my colleagues to implement the technology.

Attention – My audience’s attention level was high. The training had been scheduled and announced weeks before, and the staff new that they would be required to create a page. Having a clear objective and knowing that they would have time to create their pages before they left the training session motivated them to focus and complete the task at hand; whether they agreed with the new technology or not.

Relevance – The perceived relevance of the training was low. Most of the tech-savvy teachers already had existing classroom pages through another medium, and many of the remaining staff members saw little use for a classroom webpage. In retrospect, I should have started the training by having some of the teachers who already had classroom pages share the benefits they have seen in its implementation. This would have piqued the interest of most of the remaining staff and opened their eyes to the relevance of the presentation. I could have also suggested to those teachers with existing pages that the new website would serve as yet another point of access to the sites they had already created.

Confidence – The confidence level of my audience was varied. As stated earlier, the technological know-how of our staff covers the spectrum. However, I could have used the experience of the knowledgeable staff to aid in the instruction of the less tech-savvy staff members by effectively grouping the trainees. Having someone confident with technology working closely to some of the struggling staff members could have reduced anxiety and increased confidence.

Satisfaction Potential – This aspect was likewise variable. Again, by leaning on the tech-savvy teachers on staff, less satisfied audience members may have been more willing to implement the technology effectively.  Knowing that classroom websites were already in use in the district and that several “mentors” were available to help would have made staff members more likely to view the training and potential outcomes in a positive light.

Adam

Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.


Comments found at:


http://bcollins-learningtheoryeducationalte.blogspot.com/2011/11/module-5-new-technologies.html?showComment=1321152097170#c3225503974946617173


http://sgpugh3.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Good points, Arthur!
    Do you anticipate trying this again with the ARCS Model?

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, great refection on your training session. Using pre-session training modules can help lay the foundation for the beginners. Do you think a class for the experience personnel and a class for the beginners would have made a difference? It's possible to prepare the experience personnel to partner up with a beginner for some one on one training. I can understand some of the resistance from teachers that are already using a webpage. April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia - Unfortunately, I don't have much say in when and what I train the staff on, so a follow-up training is most likely not in my future. However, I do plan on taking this into consideration for the next training session I teach.

    April - I didn't mention it in my post, but we do typically offer small group training sessions for interested staff after the initial training. These trainings are geared at the various skill levels that exist in our building and focus on different aspects of the technology.

    Great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adam,
    Your suggestion to increase relevance by having innovator participants who were already using the pages is excellent. With andragogy, I think that relevance is very important. I will be setting up some training in the near future and will need to consider your points here. Thanks for sharing.
    Soraya

    ReplyDelete