Technology has forced education out of the traditional, knowledge-dispensing institutional model and into an ever-changing global society. As educators, our philosophy of learning must embrace this new world and create a knowledge-rich environment for our students. The single most crucial element to this new environment must be access to technology. George Siemens' asserts that knowledge is stored in networks populated by both people and electronic resources. Technology is the medium through which today's learners can most readily access these people and resources. Therfore, it is imperative that students have access to technology on a near constant basis. That is to say, providing 30 computers in a lab for hundreds of students to share is no longer an acceptable practice. Instead, as technology allows, access to the Internet needs to be provided to every student, every day in the form netbooks, PDAs, cell phones, and other personal devices.
However, simply providing teachers and students with access to these powerful technologies and networks is not enough. It is also imperative that teachers are trained in the proper use and implementation of these technologies. Too many teachers shy away from technology because they fail to see the value it has in society, they feel incompetent in the operation of this technology, or the live under the often false pretense that their students already know how to use technology effectively. These issues must be addressed, at first in professional development for current teachers and then in teacher education programs across the world. By producing teachers who are not only proficient in technology, but confident in how to implement it effectively, our students will increasingly be prepared for the ever-advancing, global society that awaits them.
Adam
Comments for this module:
http://everythingeducational.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaching-what-is-necessary.html?showComment=1322357431495#c3660652768873463918
http://bcollins-learningtheoryeducationalte.blogspot.com/2011/11/module-6-learning-in-digital-world.html?showComment=1322357606687#c2010053219372076910
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. Something that has been going over in my mind that I thought about again as I was reading your comments is that fact that technology is infiltrating our world so quickly and online learning is becoming widespread, that I have begun to hesitate using the term traditional classroom when I talk about on-ground versus online. I am thinking that "traditional" may very well be the new 21st Century approach and the "old" traditional may soon be a thing of the past.
Cynthia
Adam, I agree. One of the most difficult task face as a district technology trainer is stubborness and a fear of change exhibited by the teachers. They seem afraid that the students may know more than they do. I find that facinating and empowering. I love to both teach and learn from my students.
ReplyDeleteJan