There are many anecdotes, analogies, and metaphors to describe the various jobs of an educator. Siemens (2008) puts forward five such metaphors: the Master Artist, Network Administrator, Concierge, Curator, and Instructivist/Constructivist. While each of these metaphors suggests the importance of recognizing student achievement and providing meaningful learning resources and experiences, one of them stands out as being particularly applicable to online learning; the Concierge.
In the real world, a concierge’s job is to know his or her customers and to be knowledgeable about the area. This allows the concierge to point customers towards restaurants and other attractions that they might enjoy. Likewise, the instructor’s job is not only to understand a student’s goals, strengths, and learning styles, but also to direct him or her towards appropriate learning materials in order to deepen understanding (Siemens, 2008). This ability is essential for instructors in the online environment where the facilitation of learning is emphasized much more so than in most traditional, face-to-face classrooms. The role of the concierge also provides students with the opportunity to experience learning as defined by Driscoll (2005), who states that learning, “must come about as a result of the learner’s experience and interaction with the world” (pg. 9). There is no more qualified person to direct learners out into the world and provide them with meaningful experiences than a teacher.
Perhaps the only more all-encompassing metaphor for the job of teaching would be that of the Shoe Salesman. I liken my experience as a shoe salesman to that of a concierge in that I also had to know my customers’ goals and preferences in order to match them with the appropriate shoes. However, I had the added task of assessing problems with their existing shoes, as well as the opportunity to suggest additional accessories to go with their new purchases. As an educator, it is also important that I assess and attempt to solve any problems that a student may have. Educators also have the opportunity to provide extensions to assignments and to suggest optional resources they believe to be beneficial.
On a side note: As we read about and discussed behaviorism during this module, I could not help but be reminded of a scene from one of my favorite television shows. I thought this to be an appropriate venue to share it with you. Enjoy.
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA:
Pearson Education, Inc.
Siemens, G. (2008, January 27). Learning and knowing in networks: Changing roles for
educators and designers. Paper presented to ITFORUM. Retrieved from http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/Paper105/Siemens.pdf
Module 1 Comments:
http://bcollins-learningtheoryeducationalte.blogspot.com/
http://everythingeducational.blogspot.com/2011/09/is-this-learning-or-just-pressing.html
Module 1 Comments:
http://bcollins-learningtheoryeducationalte.blogspot.com/
http://everythingeducational.blogspot.com/2011/09/is-this-learning-or-just-pressing.html
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed that immensely! I have not watched that program, but I will now! The video was priceless and very fitting. I enjoyed reading your breakdown of the Concierge and the Shoe Salesman. It makes the theories so much more relevant to me to see them from another person' perspective.
Thanks for sharing!
Cynthia
Adam -
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your blog. Thank you for reminding us that we as educators can "provide extensions to assignments and optional resources that we believe to be beneficial" in order to provide "appropriate learning materials for a deepen understanding." Reinforcing positive behavior. I also enjoyed your video clip.
Thank you, Adam.
Hello Adam
ReplyDeleteI am nothing if not tenacious !! So I am going to try and post to your blog again
In my original post I had asked if you found similarities between the concierge and curator roles as described by Siemens?
Great Post
Helen
Helen,
ReplyDeleteDid you try to post to my blog earlier? If so, I never saw your comments and I apologize for not responding. Either way, I appreciate your tenacity.
I do believe the two roles to be similar; however, I acknowledge one major difference. While both the concierge and the curator have the responsibility of pointing customers towards interesting and appropriate resources, the curator's role implies a certain level of involvement with those resources. For example, a museum curator is equally responsible for knowledge and upkeep of the artwork displayed, whereas a concierge's role only requires him to point his customers in the right direction. Great question.
Adam